Thursday, July 29, 2010

Surgery

So we've learned in the past few weeks that both Brock and Avery are good candidates for surgical removal of their adenoids (tissue found behind the nose) as well as tossils for Brock. The ENT told us that Avery has a 70% obstruction in her breathing through nose. This is no surprise to me because she's always been a big mouth breather as well as a snorter. The issue now is that I want to have the surgery done, but Travis doesn't. I feel very confident in the pediatric ENT who told us that she would never recommend a surgery if she did not feel that it would improve their quality of live.

Luckily or not, after Brock's appt. with Dr. White at Atlanta Children's ENT, http://atlantachildrensent.com/ he would benefit more from the surgery now since he is starting school and is older. For the time being, we are going to hold off on Avery's surgery until Jan or so or until I can convince Travis it is a good decision.

Brock is now schedule to have a Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy on September 23. We tried really hard to have it done in the next two weeks before his birthday, the start of school and Jeff's wedding, but it isn't going to work out given the restriction post-opt.

I don't think Brock understands what is going to happen, which is a good thing, but I do. And, now that I have a 7 weeks till surgery, I can think, second-guess, etc. our decision. However, I feel confident that this is the right decision for him because I do not want him to go through being constantly sick like I was all throughout school because of his MASSIVE tossils that he inherited from me, my brother and my mom (both my mom and I had them taken out, but much later in life). I didn't get my out till I was 18 right before college and it sucked!

Stayed tuned for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment